[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG fails to convert .mov - "Cannot allocate temp picture"

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Thu Dec 25 19:33:31 CET 2008

fcassia wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
> <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So when I tell FFMPEG to convert a given .MOV file, it didn't
>>> cross my mind that it could reference another one. The concept of
>>>  cross-referenced mov files is foreign to the world of Windows
>>> (and I suspect, Linux users).
>> You are absolutely wrong, this concept has been used for years in
>> .mov files on windows and mac, especially to store essence files
>> outside the .mov, .mp4 can use this mechanism too and is
>> standardized.
>
> Let me rephrase: "the concept of cross-referenced video files is
> absolutely foreign to those that never used Quicktime files before",
> thus, I suspect, most users on Windows and Linux.
>
> The way to create a cross-referenced mov file is by purchasing
> Quicktime PRO, which lets you edit and save mov files.
 >
> Even if you try to tell me that "there are a lot of quicktime users
> on Windows" the vast majority of those just install the player-only
> "non-PRO" version. Thus, what are the chances of a Windows user
> without Quicktime PRO to know about cross-referenced .mov files?
 >
> I've been using computers since I was 8 years old (I'm 34 now). I've
> known about Quicktime for about 10 years, as a player only, yet I
> never dealt with editing MOV files with QT Pro until now.
>
> Do you think my case is very rare?. I doubt it.

The only thing I know for sure, is that it's been used with Final Cut
Pro since many years, and that this feature is present in Quicktime
(.mov) since a long time.

Also I added this feature to FFmpeg since quite some time now, and some
users already used it.

The fact that you didn't know about it, absolutely does not imply that
all the users around the world don't know about it.

Now the good thing about using computers is that you learn new things
every day even after 10 years and when you are 34. Here is a new thing
you just learned, but I think this discussion is going off-topic for
ffmpeg-devel mailing list, user questions belong to ffmpeg-user mailing.

> I'd like to see that error message more human-readable and
> explanatory.

Well, like I said, patch welcome.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no