[FFmpeg-devel] Pipeline: H.264 speed improvements

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Dec 28 12:29:21 CET 2008

Vitor Sessak <vitor1001 at gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>>> av_log2() can be trivially implemented on most CPUs using a count
>>> leading zeros instruction.  That should be even faster than a table.
>>> On ARM this instruction takes one cycle.
>>
>> patch & benchmark are welcome, but note, i dont think av_log2() is
>> used much in h264.c

It is used in golomb.h, which used by h264.c.  I can't say what uses
it, I only know it showed up in a profile run I did with inlining
disabled.

I did a quick benchmark with a clz implementation, which quite
remarkably came out slower, apparently due to gcc inlining changing.
Randomly forcing inline/noinline on functions in h264.c easily causes
overall performance to fluctuate 3% or so.

> Please benchmark also ALAC decoding, it seems av_log2() is much more
> speed critical there.

Can you suggest a good sample to benchmark?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com