[FFmpeg-devel] transcoding on nvidia tesla

Mike Melanson mike
Fri Feb 1 00:22:18 CET 2008

Dan Khasis wrote:
> I can make a significant contribution to get this going, and purchase a card
> or two for development testing.
>
> When it comes to converting thousands of videos per second/minute on one or
> two teslas, versus 10,000 servers across 10 datacenters, using kilowatts of
> power, the costs associated with several of these servers become irrelevant.
>
> I guess the real question is if it's possible, how long it would take, and
> how much I would have to contribute :)
>
> Based on my understanding of how well the developers of ffmpeg, have made
> ffmpeg the de facto video conversion application, I think it's safe to say
> they can do this too.
>
> With a tesla or two, you could be transcoding thousands of HD streams
> simultaneously.

You make a compelling case. However, if you're doing HD transcoding, I
suspect that refers to H.264 encoding? Perhaps it would be best to focus
on libx264 for such an effort?

Alternately, maybe you could encode HD SVQ1 in real time. :)

--
	-Mike Melanson