[FFmpeg-devel] Update on lbos

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Feb 4 15:01:36 CET 2008

Hi all,

here is the latest version of lbos. Since I have not much time to
work on lbos, I am posting it to the mailing list, in the hope that
someone else has more time to work on it.

How to use it:
1) Get ffmpeg from subversion, and apply remove_ossupport-2_3.diff
2) uncompress lbos-22.tgz somewhere on your hard disk
3) cd libbrokenos and configure it. For cross-compiling from linux
    to mingw32, I use
    ./configure --cross-prefix=i586-mingw32msvc- --cross-compile --arch=i386 --target-os=mingw
    Then, build it
4) cd ffmpeg and configure it. I use
    ./configure --cross-prefix=i586-mingw32msvc- --cross-compile \
                --extra-cflags="-I <path to lbos>/include" \
                --extra-ldflags="-L <path to lbos>" \
                --extra-libs="-lbrokenos -lws2_32" --enable-memalign-hack --target-os=mingw32 --arch=i386
    Then, build ffmpeg

Some notes:
1) For the configure script, I heavily reused ffmpeg's one. I believe
that we can split some "common functions" out of the configure script,
so that they can be reused by other projects. I tried to put them in
"common.cfg". (Note that it is based on an outdated ffmpeg configure).
I did this to show how I think that parts of the script can be shared
2) As M?ns pointed out, it is possible that the mechanism used to find
system headers do not work with non-gcc compilers. I do not know how to
address this problem
3) I suck at sed... get_header() works for me, but I do not guarantee
that the regexp I used is correct
4) This version of lbos works for mingw32, and allows to use getaddrinfo()
& friends (the code that is marked as "CONFIG_IPV6" in libavformat).
I could not test other platforms (but I expect that this time all the
platforms are easily fixable).
5) lbos still introduces some warnings when compiling ffmpeg, but they should
be easy to fix

Summing up, lbos is not ready yet, but I currently have no time to work
on it... I believe that the code I am posting shows that this design can
work, and fixing the code to be in a committable state should not be
too difficult.

			Thanks,
				Luca