[FFmpeg-devel] Alembik: video and audio transcoding with FFMpeg

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Feb 4 17:36:33 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:00:37PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:

> Jakub Danilewicz wrote:
> >
> > I have just subscribed to your mailing group, so first hello to everyone. :)
> >
> > I would like to introduce to you a new open-source initiative called
> > Alembik, which in brief is an OMA STI-compliant media transcoding server
> > based on Java (J2EE) technology. OMA STI stands for Open Mobile
> > Alliance's Standard Transcoding Interface, which precisely defines a
> > contract between a client (needing some media file(s) to be transcoded)
> > and a server (which carries out the transformation process according to
> > the passed parameters set).
> >
> > To my best knowledge Alembik (a word derived from the name of a device
> > for alchemical transmutations) is a first open-source attempt to meet
> > that standard.
> >
> > http://alembik.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > The reason why I am posting this information here is that one of the
> > most important software dependencies of Alembik is... FFMpeg itself.
> > Actually whenever the server receives a request for video or audio
> > transcoding, it delegates work to FFMpegMediaProcessor, which constructs
> > an appropriate command for executing your application.
> >
> > http://alembik.sourceforge.net/alembikFFMpegMediaProcessor.html
>
> I found this on the website:
>
> "FFMpeg <http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/> is a C++ program"
>
> That is not true, FFmpeg is written in C and assembler.

Claiming that FFmpeg is written in C++ sounds like a good way to aquire
lasting enmities around here.  Wait, you could claim that it is written
in C/C++.

That page also wins the price for "silliest image resizing", if you look
at the image on its own, it is actually a readable diagram.
Unfortunately, you have forced it to be rendered at a size that leaves
nothing but a few colored lines and specs that look like they were
writing in a former life.

;-p

Diego