[FFmpeg-devel] Patch - Allow disabling of bit reservoir when encoding MP3 audio

Paul Kelly paul
Tue Feb 5 01:40:18 CET 2008

Hello,
May I suggest the attached patch for possible inclusion - as the subject
suggests, it allows the user to disable use of the bit reservoir through
the libavcodec API, when using libmp3lame to encode MP3. While generally
not considered a desirable thing to do due to it lowering the quality
slightly, disabling the bit reservoir is nonetheless useful when splitting
encoded output between different files, to avoid audio artefacts at the
start of a new file caused when some of the data for the first frame was
included in previous frames.

Have I taken the right approach? Or is this not the right way and should
the codec always be closed and re-opened when splitting the output between
files? (I don't want to do this in my application because the initial
encoding delay will complicate things...)

Paul