[FFmpeg-devel] Patch - Allow disabling of bit reservoir when encoding MP3 audio

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Feb 5 04:06:43 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:40:18AM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello,
> May I suggest the attached patch for possible inclusion - as the subject
> suggests, it allows the user to disable use of the bit reservoir through
> the libavcodec API, when using libmp3lame to encode MP3. While generally
> not considered a desirable thing to do due to it lowering the quality
> slightly, disabling the bit reservoir is nonetheless useful when splitting
> encoded output between different files, to avoid audio artefacts at the
> start of a new file caused when some of the data for the first frame was
> included in previous frames.

Splitting mp3 at frame boundaries should not cause artifacts. If it does
submit a bugreport to whatever decoder you use. If its libavcodec, ill fix
that if you provide such a file with artifacts at the start. Of course
if you split and then randomly combine the parts artifacts could occur but
thats a little odd use case.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire