[FFmpeg-devel] Question about -fPIC usage for some files

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 8 14:04:16 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:43:48AM +0100, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as posted monthes ago i need to compile ffmpeg with -fPIC for some
> reasons, but it doesn't work for 3 files in libavcodec/i386/
> (i686, Core2 Duo). So far i patched the files or disabled some code to
> make it work.
>
> I just tried a different approach with current SVN version, manually
> compile the 3 files without -fPIC and rest with -fPIC.
> I wonder if the resulting .so can be at least partially shared between
> processes.
>
> The test results - by looking at free memory without buffers and cache
> after loading the whole software, that has 5 processes using ffmpeg -
> show that this seems to be the case. RAM usage is not worse than older
> ffmpeg compilations with fully -fPIC.

Just curious, how much ram do the 5 processes eat with static libav*?
and shared without -fPIC?

> My question is if these results are realistic, can .so libs be built in
> a way so only parts of it (some .o's) don't use -fPIC and the rest uses
> it, and sharing of these parts still work? It seems so, but i'd like to
> be sure on this and here are certainly some experts around :-)

yes

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.