[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] do not run ldconfig for DESTDIR installs

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Feb 16 10:38:09 CET 2008

Hello,
On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:59:50AM +0200, ?smail D?nmez wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2008 4:24 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > running ldconfig when not installing into system paths can waste
> > significant cpu and i/o time.  DESTDIR is generally used in two
> > scenarios:
> >  - package maintainers installing into an empty tree for packaging
> >  - cross-compilers installing into a development tree
> > in neither of these scenarios does running ldconfig make sense nor is
> > it useful.  the paths the libraries get installed into are rarely (ive
> > never heard of a case) declared in the ldso's configuration file, so
> > running ldconfig doesnt actually accomplish the intended goal: getting
> > the newly installed ffmpeg libs into the cache and symlinks created.
> >

> Agreed, please apply the patch.

There are at least two paths where it makes sense to run: /usr/local and
/usr. Whereas for the other cases I usually encounter building is done
as ordinary user and thus ldconfig can not run.
I guess (not sure though) cross-compilation already is a flag, so that could
be used for this, which IMO would be preferable.
Building packages is a bit different thing, but IMHO the solution would
be not to run as root ;-)

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger