[FFmpeg-devel] [HELP]

kenyeby kenyeby
Wed Feb 20 08:44:45 CET 2008

I think VaAPI  is a good start  for us.

The hardware accelerator includes your list.

Of course, you can ask us to provide more if it is not enough.

  _____

???? Andreas Setterlind <gamester17 at xboxmediacenter.com>
???? FFmpeg development discussions and patches <ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.
hu>
????? 2008/2/19(???) ??6:56:14
???? Re: [FFmpeg-devel] HELP

On 2/19/08, kenye <kenyeby at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> We have a project about the multi-video-codec project.
> It is a hardware and software co-design project.
> We try to provide hardware accelerater for all video-codecs.

Which API will you use? Hopefully it will the decoding part use an
open source API like the one from the VaAPI (Video Acceleration API)
project?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VaAPI
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

What video decoding processes exactly will it be able to accelerate
effectively?
- Motion compensation (mocomp)?
- Inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT)?
- Inverse modified discrete cosine transform (iMDCT)?
- In-loop deblocking filter?
- Intra-frame prediction?
- Inverse quantization (IQ)?
- Variable-Length Decoding (VLD)?
- Spatial-temporal deinterlacing?
- Bitstream processing (CAVLC and/or CABAC)?

I do not speak for FFmpeg nor its developers but my guess is that next
question from an actually FFmpeg developer is; will ASUSTek provide
some free hardware samples of this hardware accelerator (in a PCI/PCIe
card form-factor?) to any volunteering FFmpeg developer?, and if so
would it then be best for a FFmpeg team-member to collect the shipping
addresses of those volunteers and send them to you in a private
e-mail?, and/or will it be simpler for you to send a bunch of cards to
one FFmpeg team-member who volunteer to distribute within the FFmpeg
team? Also, how detailed documentation will you be able to provide for
those developers with and without a NDA (some might be willing to sign
a NDA, others may not but would still be willing to work on the
development of it)?

PS! Maybe a good Google Summer of Code 2008 project if no one
volunteer before then?

Best regards / Andreas Setterlind (a.k.a. Gamester17)
Project Manager of XBMC (a media center/player software which uses FFmpeg)