[FFmpeg-devel] [Hardware Accelerator for Video and Audio]

kenye ye kenyeby
Wed Feb 20 17:50:47 CET 2008

>From :  Andreas Setterlind (a.k.a. Gamester17)
>What video decoding processes exactly will it be able to accelerate
effectively?
>- Motion compensation (mocomp)?
>- Inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT)?
>- Inverse modified discrete cosine transform (iMDCT)?
>- In-loop deblocking filter?
>- Intra-frame prediction?
>- Inverse quantization (IQ)?
>- Variable-Length Decoding (VLD)?
>- Spatial-temporal deinterlacing?
>- Bitstream processing (CAVLC and/or CABAC)?

We will provide all features you mentioned.
if you need more, please tell us and discuss with us.
Right now,  we have already define the following features.
These features will be helpful to decode and encode  MPEGI MPEGII MPEGIV
H.264, H.263+ ,  VC1, RM9.

 1. Transform/inverse Transform
 2. VLD/VLC
 3. Q/IQ
 4. Compensation : Intra-Pred / Motion Compensation
 5.  Estimation
 6. Deblocking Filter
 7. CABAC
 8. Bitstream processing : such as start code finding
 9. Deinterlacing

as to audio,  we don't define it right now. you can provide your opinions
such as iMDCT. That would be great.

FYI ..

> will ASUSTek provide some free hardware samples of this hardware
accelerator (in a > >PCI/PCIe card form-factor?) to any volunteering FFmpeg
developer?, and if so

   Yes, we will provide hardware for free with NDA. But the number of
prototype  is limited.
    Before that, we might provide a software simulator, it is still under
discussion.
    In first stage, it might not be PCI/PCIe interface.

>would it then be best for a FFmpeg team-member to collect the shipping
>addresses of those volunteers and send them to you in a private
>e-mail?, and/or will it be simpler for you to send a bunch of cards to

  After we have prototype, we will announce how to get it. In this stage, we
need
  each expert's opinions to define what you expect and want to accelerate.

>one FFmpeg team-member who volunteer to distribute within the FFmpeg
>team?
    I can give you my company email first.

>Also, how detailed documentation will you be able to provide for
>those developers with and without a NDA (some might be willing to sign
>a NDA, others may not but would still be willing to work on the
>development of it)?

  We hope all APIs belong to open source. Therefore, there is no NDA in this
stage.
  With NDA,  the detailed documentation about the commands of the
accelerator  and the prototype would be released after the prototype  is
built.  Before delivering  the prototypes,  we will mark milestones for this
project.

   Through the discussions on APIs,  we will understand what you want and
what we want.
 It is not a small project,  it needs  a group to work it out.

  If you have any question, please feel free to ask.
  Anything is able to be discussed.
 Thank for your help.

BR,
   Ken