[FFmpeg-devel] [Hardware Accelerator for Video and Audio]

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi
Thu Feb 21 10:52:32 CET 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008 10:35:10 M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> "Benjamin Zores" <ben at geexbox.org> writes:
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM, kenye ye <kenyeby at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >>  I'm thinking of this from a usability point of view.
> >>
> >>  > It's a bit annoying when you have a display dedicated to
> >>  > videos. How and where is rendered the
> >>  > GUI/WM/anything_else_that_is_not_video ?
> >>
> >>   We'll provide the channel for the GUI data, i.e. OSD engine.
> >
> > I.e a limited 256 colours OSD engine ?
>
> I don't see the 256-colour connection, although I agree the idea of
> a dedicated video output device is mad.

it is crazy (think of early DVB cards with a svhs output),
but transferring back the decoded frames may require something
almost equally crazy: 1920x1088x30 fps x 12bpp = 752 Mb/s == 94 MB/s

Even halved by means of a lossless compression it takes almost 50
MB/sec at 30 fps, back to 100 MB/s at 60 fps, that may be a lot for
a lower-end pc (where a dedicated decoder makes more sense)