[FFmpeg-devel] XBMC - another project using FFmpeg

Andreas Setterlind gamester17
Fri Feb 22 16:38:47 CET 2008

On 2/22/08, Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:
> GeeXboX being a distribution and not a video player or a media center app,
> I even considered using/adding XBMC Linux months ago but hadn't checked
> for progress for quite a long time.

That is really how XBMC is designed to run, as an embedded-system
(like a LiveCD or LiveUSB, more likely LiveUSB though since we want to
let users save bookmarks and such).

However, XBMC for Linux is still pre-alpha today so it might not be
quite ready for general use, but we will probably officially
reclassify it as being in alpha-stage relatively soon, and we are also
currently discussing if creating a PPA package for it to host
launchpad.net is be a good idea or not, (it would allow 'normal'
people to download XBMC for Linux precompiled via apt get for black
box testing on Ubuntu). Later when we think XBMC is getting close to
the beta stage then we will try to work on a LiveCD/LiveUSB of our own
for release with the first beta version of XBMC for Linux.

Sorry for ranting on about XBMC, I will now stop the non-FFmpeg part
of this discussion, I promise :)