[FFmpeg-devel] Suggestion: revert r12154

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Feb 25 12:35:01 CET 2008

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:26:51PM +0800, mvplayer wrote:
>> avutil.h is a public file which should not contain any gcc specification
>> definition!
>
> I assume you mean gcc-specific? If there is something gcc-specific that
> definitely is wrong, on the other hand if this is only Microsoft's
> compiler not even getting the basics of the C standard right you would
> have to find and suggest a clean solution yourself...

There is nothing gcc-specific in avutil.h, or any other installed header.

The macros under discussion are perfectly valid C.  The standard says
the expansion of a macro should be reparsed as source.  Apparently,
msvc does not do this correctly.

I have verified these macros to work with a variety of non-gcc compilers.
None of them had any problem at all expanding the macros.

I'm sorry, but you need a C compiler to use the FFmpeg headers.  They
won't work with Fortran, Pascal, Ada, or Java compilers, so why should
they be expected to work with msvc?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com