[FFmpeg-devel] Suggestion: revert r12154

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 25 16:40:26 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 04:03:49PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:53:44PM +0800, mvplayer wrote:
> > Do you mean msvs is not a C compiler?
>
> Thing is, there are two possibilities:
> 1) There actually is something in our code that does not comply to the C
> standard. If so, report the exact point of the problem, preferably
> citing the exact part of the C standard that applies.
> 2) Your compiler does not comply with the C standard. Then you should
> preferably get it fixed ASAP, esp. if it is a failure that can cause not
> only compile- but also runtime errors.
> Workarounds are of course possible as well, but they must be clean,
> simple, not break functionality etc.

Yes, we all agree here i think, MSVC is a buggy mess and not compliant
to the C standard and MS should fix their trash, ...
Still theres no reason to break support if it can easily be avoided.

> > r12154 introduce more complicated code, why do you submit the dirty so
> > called "clean up " modifications
>
> A majority (honestly including me) seems to be in favour of the more
> complicated code since it helps avoid mistakes.

Not in the vote thread, its 6:3 (not counting non developers, and counting
mans as being in favor of his own code) otherwise it would even be 7:2

And yes, votes suck and we should find a solution which we all agree with
but IMO the current code is worse in this respect than the previous.

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.