[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2008

Andreas Setterlind gamester17
Tue Feb 26 10:32:14 CET 2008

One more proposal; Frame-level decoding of H.264 for multi-core support:
Frame-level decoding, (also known as frame-balancing decoding), to
achieve parallelism (multi-core / multi-processor usage) for video
codec application by exploiting frame level parallelism in the H.264
(MPEG-4 AVC) codec.

Better description of the task can be found here: http://www.hipeac.net/node/63

Maybe whoever implemented slice-based decoding in FFmpeg could mentor this?

On 2/25/08, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> Andreas Setterlind wrote:
> > I like to propose VA API (Video Acceleration API) implementation into FFmpeg
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API
> > Maybe you could even ask the author, Jonathan Bian (from Intel) to mentor it?
>
> Sounds like a long shot. Can you contact him or give me his contact
> details privately?

Jonathan's contact e-mail is posted publicly on the VA API project website:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi
IIRC Jonathan have also previously posted to this ffmpeg-devel
mailing-list before about VA API.

> > I would also like to suggest SSE4 SIMD optimizations as a valid
> > qualification task:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4
>
> Can you enumerate specific tasks along these lines?

I was think of basically just SSE4 versions of the existing MMX, SSE,
SSE2, and SSE3 optimizations, such as:
- Motion Compensation
- iDCT
- QPel