[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Måns Rullgård mans
Wed Feb 27 00:29:15 CET 2008

Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 01:59:45PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Can we please have a bit more discussion before resorting to votes the
> next time around?

For the record, my decision to change the code had nothing to do with
any "voting" that may have taken place.  I do not believe in democracy.

To run a country, democracy is probably the best system devised thus
far, although it is by no means perfect.  This is because populations
at large have at most average intelligence, probably lower [1].  In a
group like FFmpeg, the average intelligence is high enough that the
chances of reaching a consensus around a sensible decision are pretty
good.  In a group of intelligent people it is also much more difficult
for a tyrant to gain foothold.  In other words, by resorting to
democratic processes, an intelligent group is likely to make worse
decisions than had time been allowed for proper discussion and
consensus-forming.

Who wants to join me in founding the Kingdom of FFmpeg?

1. It has been postulated that the collective intelligence of a group
is equal to that of the least intelligent member divided by the size
of the group.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com