[FFmpeg-devel] Matroska demuxer gives presentation order in dts

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 21:24:58 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:06:43PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:

> >> DTS are not optional, they are needed for remuxing to a different container.
> >> Thus not setting them at all is not a solution.
> >
> > But they're not needed for other uses. So it's useful if there is a way
> > to generate them if needed, but it's not necessary for every demuxer
> > stream to have DTS. It can also be useful to know what timestamp (or
> > other) information the container really specifies, and what is a guess
> > filled in by lavf (especially if the guess can be unreliable).
>
> IMHO, lavf has no business guessing at all.  Guesses are bound to be
> wrong sooner or later.

They are not guessed, they are exactly calculated based on the information
provided by the demuxer and parser, if this information is wrong so are the
timestamps. (of course there can be bugs in the dts calculation code as well
but the word guessing is not correct)

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes