[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Attila Kinali attila
Thu Feb 28 09:44:34 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:14:20 +0200
"Ivan Kalvachev" <ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel so much secure when I know there is not even single root admin
> who believes in democracy.

Yes. We like to exert our totalitarian powers
and rule people by force and might.

> On another note, it seems that there are people here who have no idea
> what democracy is. Democracy doesn't start and doesn't end with
> voting.
> It is a way more. The thing you call "reaching consensus" is the
> actual heart of the democracy.  d?mokratia (??????????)  - literally,
> rule by the people.

Sorry, i live in a country where democracy has gone as far as democracy
can go. And no, it's not pretty. Please, dont misunderstand me, i like
to live here, a lot of other "democratic" countries are a lot worse,
but the problem is that people are not able to keep up with the needs
of democracy anymore and abstain from voting or even worse, vote what
they actually don't want.

Not to mention the problem of volont? g?n?ral != volont? de tous.
(cf. Du contrat social ou Principes du droit politique, Jean-Jacques Rousseau)

> In a society you can have all the institutions, organization,
> elections and voting and still not have democracy. Because democracy
> requires all the small check and balances from the people down bellow,
> through the bureaucrats and up to the government. When the link is
> broken,  government is not in check, it can run loose and it becomes
> more vulnerable to totalitarian takeovers.

No, checks and balances don't work. You, of all here, should know that
the best. Real (utopian) democracy requires trust and confidence that
is not abused. Good luck in finding this in any real world example.

> As conclusion of the above tirade comes to show that in smaller groups
> it is harder for a tyrant to place a foothold and is even more harder
> to keep his position.

No, actually it makes it easier. Less people to control.

			Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred