[FFmpeg-devel] DVD subtitles

Wolfram Gloger wmglo
Fri Feb 29 10:34:28 CET 2008

Hi,

> What exactly can I do with subtitles using the ffmpeg program before and
> after your contribution? I was under the impression that it was already
> possible to convert dvb subtitles from and to dvb subtitles.

It is already possible under specific circumstances:

- just one rectangle per subtitle (the encoder happily creates
  more than one, but I know no player which can show more than one)
  [I have fixed this with the "merging" filter]

- just one color (well more than one is possible, but they are all
  mapped to the same color basically)
  [I have improved this with a slightly more elaborate colormap compressor]

But there are several patches required for the generic ffmpeg code,
too.  I'm trying to get them in but am afraid it will take long.

> I guess the SubtitleRects can have varying bounds and offsets as opposed
> to a picture?

They do have width and height bundled, but no offsets AFAICS.

Regards,
Wolfram.