[FFmpeg-devel] [flamefest-start] A little something on MMX/SSE intrinsics

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 29 13:35:01 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:11:07PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Luca Barbato wrote:
> >> So, what about having a SoC on this kind of stuff?
> >
> > SoC what? Project? Or qualification task? What would be the goal? And
> > who would be the mentor.
>
> Qualification :
>   - convert from intrisics to asm or from asm to intrinsics 4-5
> nontrivial functions.

Honestly i dont think converting asm to intrisics is such a good idea.
This is like rewriting ffmpeg is java ...

Also the student has to do intrinsics->asm properly (assigning registers
sanely, avoid unneeded load/stores shedule instructions half sane, ...).

>   - benchmark the results.

Qualification should _require_ the new code to be faster than the intrinsics.
The reason being a student failing to write asm code which beats gcc is not
someone i want optimizing ffmpeg.
Also anyone can within 5 minutes just run gcc -S over the code and just change
this to asm (which would result in identical speed on the target cpu) so someone
submitting slower code really fails IMO.

> SoC :
>   - split x86 from x86_64, rewrite for speed for x86_64,

Iam not in favor of brute force spliting, first there has to be some
plan/idea for each individual asm(), that is "we could avoid these 3
load/stores if we had 3 more registers" Also for splited code to be accepted
it must be impossible to have a equally fast and reasonable clean combined
function.

> asm AND
> intrinsics,

Iam not in favor of this.

> benchmark the results.

benchmark on what? one cpu? several? do we have shell accounts for idle
machines with these cpus?

>   - improve the simd coverage for $arch

Too vague IMHO, we should have some list of functions to optimize at least
as starpoint, the student could always optimize other things too ...

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato