[FFmpeg-devel] Headers moving?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jan 2 23:44:31 CET 2008

Hi

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:25:08PM +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:

> May I try to poke again about moving headers around so that crc.h can be
> installed? I'd very much like to start using libavutil for xine-lib-1.2
> (and replacing sha1, base64 and crc16/32 implementations from xine-lib).

yes you may, what was the result of the last discussion?
IIRC we were at
* crc.h should be installed
* we need to get rid of the non const static (=API change) before that or
  there will be problems with at least x86_64 lavu-PIC + app-NOPIC on some
  systems

-> we either need to hardcode all CRC tables or use functions to return a
pointer to them
ideal would be if both were possible selectable with a ./configure switch

generating tables at runtime has the advantage of a small .o file, and little
used memory if few tables are used by few processes

having them hardcoded has the advatage that theres no extra memory needed
per process as the tables are const and shared

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik