[FFmpeg-devel] Question on libbrokenos support

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Jan 8 16:31:29 CET 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to address a problem in libbrokenos development,
and I'd like to hear other people's opinons about it.
Basically, the problem is that some OSs provide broken
standard headers, that not contain all the needed definitions
(I already mentioned this problem talking about usleep()
prototype; now I'm seeing it with socklen_t).

So, libbrokenos cannot provide such headers, because it would
prevent the inclusion of the headers provided by the OS,
breaking the compilation... How can the missing definitions
be provided? I see two possibilities:
1) provide the header in libbrokenos, with a "#include_next ..."
at the beginning (protected by "#if HAVE_...") to include the
header provided by the OS
2) have a "#include os_support.h" header in some strategic places
in libav*, and put all the possibly missing definitions in os_support.h

I see advantages and disadvantages in both the solutions, so I am
undecided. Rich already said that solution 2) is wrong, but I'd like
to see a general agreement before going on.
Or maybe there is a third solution, which is more correct and I
am not seeing...

			Thanks,
				Luca