[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPeg feature requests (AVCHD demuxing, decoding and H.264 multithreading) and how to proceed with paying for development

Robert Krüger krueger
Mon Jan 14 10:41:19 CET 2008

Hi,

I have a number of features which I would like to see completed in
FFMPeg and judging from the list archives
- they do not have a high priority for the ffmpeg development community
- it is not uncommon to pay for the development of features

So, how do I go about this? Is there someone who is the project lead who
will negotiate this and the money (provided we agree on something) will
go to the project as a whole or will I have to find a single developer
who offers to complete the features? I really have no idea and would be
grateful for any advice.

The features (I think most of them have been requested before)
1) AVCHD demuxing: I want to be able to demux an m2ts file (from a Sony
camcorder) into an MP4 container (no transcoding!) which currently fails
with

error, non monotone timestamps 1>= 1
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file

2) AVCHD interlaced decoding: The Sony Camcorders I have to work with
produce 1080i material only. That's why I have no choice. I want to be
able to transcode with FFMeg. One answer on this list was that support
for this would be a boring task with low priority. Would anyone be
willing to put a pricetag on this? About how many days of work are we
talking? Some postings (codecs are not my area of expertise so I might
misjudge this) a few months ago indicated that it should be doable with
a reasonable amount of work (whateve that means).

3) H.264 multithreaded encoding: I'm not sure but this is currently not
supported, is it? What I need is to be able to use all the processor
power I have on multicore systems to accelerate the transcoding of a
single file, as I think the encoding is probably the bottleneck, and
what I'm looking for is fast transcoding times (possibly less than
realtime for transcoding 1080i material to say 480p).

This is currently my full ideal world wishlist. If any single item (I
guess 2 depends on 1???) would be possible it would also be helpful.

All this is for a commercial project for a customer but of course the
entire community would benefit from this. If noone here is interested,
that's fine and I have to go find another software to do this but I
would prefer FFMPeg as we have been using it for a while now and are big
fans of this project.

Any feedback welcome (if deemed more appropriate also off-list).

Thanks in advance,

Robert

--
(-) Robert Kr?ger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft f?r Informationstechnologie mbH