[FFmpeg-devel] Per codec defaults

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 17 02:50:32 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:04:51AM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After discussing per codec defaults with M?ns, he had the idea of
> adding a defaults function to the AVCodec struct and calling
> avcodec_get_context_defaults2 with an AVCodec.
>
> This sounds like a great idea but after inspecting the code in
> ffmpeg.c it seems that avcodec_get_context_defaults2 isn't quite the
> right place to call the function as it seems to wipe out the
> AVCodecContext then apply some flags and other stuff. The problem is
> that, within this function, the AVCodec isn't known.
>
> I think it should be called (if existing) just after ffmpeg.c:2882 and
> just before ffmpeg.c:2884. At this point the AVCodec has just been
> successfully discovered by avcodec_find_encoder() and what looks to be
> the command line option parsing for video encoding options is just
> about to be conducted. I think this is the perfect place as it's the
> last chance for defaults to be applied. The call would of course be
> added for audio and subtitles as well, though this seems a little
> awkward.

Please dont design libav* API based on ffmpeg.c design
but rather use common sense, if that isnt enough looking at ffmpeg.c and
other users of libav* is surely a good idea.
But basing design solely on what needs the least changes for ffmpeg is no
good.

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato