[FFmpeg-devel] Contract offer for AVCHD decoding

Robert Krüger krueger
Fri Jan 18 12:30:08 CET 2008

OK, my last attempt and I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes doing this.

I would like to offer paying anyone who's capable and interested to make
ffmpeg/libavcodec decode AVCHD files originating from Sony's consumer
camcorders (sample file can be downloaded at
http://www.signal7.de/download/clip-10-seconds-1080i.m2ts, which plays
perfectly on DivX-Player and Nero Showtime, however not on MPlayer or
VLC media player).

Currently ffmpeg chokes with the error "[h264 @ 0xbf3220]Interlaced
pictures + spatial direct mode is not implemented", which is well-known
to the project members and is of very low priority.

Conditions:
- only LGPL software can be used (if there is only a way with GPL, tell
me and I might reconsider this).
- Code must be accepted into the ffmpeg codebase

I'm offering 2000 Euro for this development and will pay half of it when
a patch is there that allows decoding the file referenced above and the
other half when the patch has been accepted into the project's code base.

_All_ of the conditions listed above are open for negotiations. Please
contact me directly if interested.

A lot of Sony camcorder users (who currently only can do things like
outlined here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9502260#post9502260 or
here http://www.fsckin.com/tag/xporthdmv/) will be happy but of course
my interest is of a less noble nature, because I need it for a software
project which has to deal with input from exactly those cameras and
otherwise have to find a commercial solution, most of which suck
compared to ffmpeg.

Have a nice day,

Robert