[FFmpeg-devel] Filtering clueless-user spam from the lists

Robert Swain robert.swain
Wed Jan 23 12:59:49 CET 2008

On 23/01/2008, Nico Sabbi <Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> Il Wednesday 23 January 2008 01:43:35 Rich Felker ha scritto:
> > I'm wondering if we could implement a few idiot-proofing filters
> > for the ffmpeg lists to keep annoyances down. Some ideas to
> > auto-reject:
> >
> > - Mail cross-posted to more than one ffmpeg list
> >   (annoying user questions cross-posted to devel list)
> >
> > - Mail with Re: in subject but no In-Reply-To: header
> >   (broken threading)
> >
> > - Mail without Re: in subject but containing In-Reply-To: header
> >   (thread hijacking)
> >
> > All of these are trivial procmail recipes.
> >
> > Rich
>
> IMO add discarding outlook users. Using outlook already indicates
> a *proven* attitude to post messages in the wrong way.
> Many other mail clients don't require admin permissions to install and
> run, so there's no excuse to post here using outlook.

I disagree, people should be able to use whatever client they like, as
long as the client doesn't really mess up the e-mails. If said client
consistently breaks threading and is not configurable to not break
threading or something like that, then maybe that's fair. Excluding
mails from a client because of some supposed mindset of its users
seems like unreasonable discrimination to me. I don't think it's our
place to force people to not use particular software if the software
can be used properly. This is not a personal attack, just an attack on
the idea. :)

Rob