[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Sun Jan 27 21:54:43 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 21:22 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:18:57PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > I see no evidence for any of those claims ("months of work", "more
> > fragile" or "harder to maintain").

... and you still gave no reason to believe that even one of your claims
would have been justified.

> i see reimar posted a patch solving the issue for libavcodec and libavutil
> and iam sure libswscale and libpostproc soon as well

What he posted doesn't actually solve anything yet. It just makes it
easier to add hacks that make variables global (unnecessarily, to hack
around the problems triggered by MANGLE) in the future.

> where is your simple, clean, with all gcc versions working, not fragile
> little work, easy to maintain, not slower code at all patch?

I wouldn't call the hack proposed by Reimar "clean" in any sense.
I've already posted a patch that makes the cabac.h asm cleaner, more
maintainable, no more fragile and no slower (possibly slightly faster).
Since I've already tested that and shown it to work I see little reason
to do that for all files when it seems unlikely to get included in
FFmpeg anyway and I have no interest in maintaining a fork.