[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Jan 28 18:59:29 CET 2008

On 28/01/2008, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:22:53PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:

[...]

> > If the atmosphere of the lists is improved such that people feel more
> > comfortable expressing their opinions on matters here then this won't
> > be a problem and it makes sense to do this as we are all on these
> > lists and then abstaining from discussion on the list could be
> > considered acceptable.
>
> Is the "atmosphere" on IRC really better? Last time i were there i remember
> rich and others kicking people off the channel for little if anything.
> last being years ago and maybe not even exactly the last time but i
> remember it wasnt exactly rare and the tone on IRC was not better at all
> than on the list

It's actually quite amicable these days. We have a #ffmpeg-devel as
well as #ffmpeg now so those who don't want to see user noise don't
have to. As I recall Rich used to do most of his flaming in
#mplayerdev but maybe I'm mistaken. #mplayerdev is quite dead these
days and regardless, Rich seems to have turned a leaf. :)

[...]

> > We're adults,
> > not children, we don't need to bitch back and forth to resolve
> > something.
>
> Well, why does this somehow not match my memory of the behavior of some
> people here ...

That kind of comment pokes the embers and can makes things worse. I
made that statement in an attempt to get through to people that we
_are_ adults regardless of what discussions of happened and gone
astray in the past. Just because we're volunteers (or otherwise)
doesn't mean we should devolve into petty, non-productive squabbles
all the time. We all want the same thing - to make FFmpeg awesomer. :)

> > This doesn't mean that apologising is an infinite get out of jail free
> > card. If consistent aggressiveness or rudeness is observed then
> > apologies will lose credibility and then there will be grounds to
> > complain.
> >
> > The point of all this discussion (for me) isn't to point a finger at
> > you, Michael, and put this on your shoulders but to get everyone to
> > think more about what they're writing, the affects it has on other
> > people and the project, and change their behaviour for the better.
>
> Also one thing you missed is that most are not native english speakers
> and what may be considered rude by a native might not so obviously be
> rude to a non native.

The language barrier is a fair point and should be considered when
reading something before taking offense, but there's a line and I'm
sure it has been crossed a number of times.

Rob