[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Runtime-inited versus Hardcoded tables.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Jan 31 12:01:17 CET 2008

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:47:33AM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Yes - that's obvious - but I think distribution of some large binary
> tables (either in sources or executables) is by faaaaaar more painful
> then having them initialized on the runtime and only when needed.

Well, that so far is an assertion without reasoning behind it though.
At least for all I know, the tables could easily be smaller than the
code to generate them after compression in many cases.
It also raises the question which scenario exactly you are thinking of
that you would consider distribution of (at my random guess) a few 100 kB of
extra data painful...

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger