[FFmpeg-devel] libraries linked with libX11 on GNU/kFreeBSD

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Thu Jul 17 12:46:47 CEST 2008

Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

>> > I stand by my rejection of the patch.  The existing code is wrong.  We
>> > should fix it properly instead of adding more broken code.
>>
>> Okay, no problem. I'll carry then this patch in the debian/ubuntu
>> package until the code in question gets replaced upstream then. And to
>> be honest, I doubt that someone outside Debian actually cares about
>> gnu/kfreebsd.
>
> An even better procedure would be to propose the patch before applying
> it to your package and then try to find a clean solution in cooperation
> with your upstream (us).  You could then backport such a solution to
> your package.

Yes, I agree that this is a good idea to do in general.  However for
this particular issue, this particular patch is pretty trivial and does
affect only a very small number of machines. Here, it affects only
gnu/kfreebsd machines.  For more complicated patches, I'd of course
prefer to have it commented by some more experienced developer before
publishing it anywhere.

Btw, you might have noticed that nowadays all patches in the
ffmpeg-debian package have descriptive comments why they have been
applied and where they originate. This makes it easier to eventually get
rid of them.

> Still, this reminds me a bit of a "shoot first, ask questions later"
> attitude ;) - in a perfect world you would choose the first route
> instead of the second.

Uhm, I it's not that this couldn't be easily reverted. Generally I think
first committing it the package branch for building test packages is not
something unreasonable to do. If the patch gets commented on later on
this mailing list, it can still be improved before publishing a package
in debian. Having that in mind, I don't think the analogy "shoot first,
ask questions later" really applies here.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4