[FFmpeg-devel] Codec detailed info (continuation)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jul 18 11:35:36 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:34:07AM +0200, Andreas ?man wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > There are AVCodecContext.profile, level and coder_type to export the
> > respective information.
>
> Hm, indeed, i guess https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue514
> should be addressed differently.
>
> > There is no sense in inventing a new API that exports these fields as
> > a string that then has to be parsed.
>
> Well, I agree, the idea was more to be able to present various codec
> information in a human readable way. I find code such as
> avcodec_string() quite useful in apps instead of reinventing the same
> code there.

Iam not against improving the presentation of the human readable stuff.
But first the information should be properly exported in the existing
fields for the respective information.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf