[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] additinal desc_type for dtshd mpeg-ts demuxer

Ian Caulfield ian.caulfield
Mon Jun 9 09:42:34 CEST 2008

2008/6/9 Andreas ?man <andreas at olebyn.nu>:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>> Is it correct to use the same codec id?  Can AC3/DTS decoders in
>> general handle all the variants?  Might an lavf-using app want to
>> distinguish between them?
>
> IEC958 (SPDIF) comes to mind.
> You might want to configure AC3, DTS, etc to be sent directly to a AV
> receiver, but such receiver might not be able to decode DTS HD and such,
> so it is necessary to be able to distinguish between the variants.
>
> Ether we could add more codec IDs or use sub_id. Dunno what's best
> though.

I think DTS is meant to fallback nicely - a decoder that can handle
DTS but not DTS-HD should be able to decode a DTS-HD stream as just
1.5mbs DTS and ignore the extra data... not sure if that's true in
practice though!

Ian