[FFmpeg-devel] Codec IDs for AC3/DTS variants (Was: Re: [RFC] additinaldesc_type for dtshd mpeg-ts demuxer)

elupus elupus
Tue Jun 10 12:44:21 CEST 2008

Justin Ruggles <justinruggles <at> bellsouth.net> writes:

> >> I think that is not entirely true. Justin should know for sure.
>
> Not sure what you mean by AC3+.  Is that the Bluray mixed AC3 and E-AC3?
>  Either way, to FFmpeg it's all just AC3.

I was wrong, it's not decodable directly by an ac3 decoder, so it should
probably have a new codec_id.

> > Either way, having the ability to choose different decoders (e.g. hardware
> > or software) depending on the stream type would be nice.  If I have a
> > decoder that can handle the extensions, I want to use it, even if a basic
> > decoder will accept the stream.
>
> AVCodecContext.sub_id sounds like a possible solution.  I had honestly
> never even noticed that field before.  Are there any codecs which use
> it?  If so, are the sub_id's defined in a public header or a
> codec-specific header?

Only one i know of this far is the dvb subtitle decoder.