[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: Re: [libav-user] Encoding additional data (non-AV) in stream?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jun 10 20:29:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:46:40AM +0200, Florian Echtler wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've posted this on libav-user already, but somebody told me that it
> might be more suited here..
>
> What I'm trying to do is to embed an additional data stream in an AVI
> file. I've managed to embed my data frames in the AVI file successfully
> using CODEC_ID_DATA, however, now I have problems with decoding them
> again. I noted that while avienc.c is able to correctly generate a
> 'dats' header, avidec.c is not able to read them again and fails.
>
> I think it's a bit odd that one part of ffmpeg can write files that the
> other part can't read anymore, so here's a tiny patch which at least
> allows the stream to be read:

patch looks ok

[...]

> On a different topic: I still have some problems understanding how to
> handle the pts values.. do I have to generate them? How? Can somebody
> point me to a more detailed description? Reason: I'd like to get the
> data frames back with the same relative timestamps..

AVI has no timestamps, each frame has a timestamp of the last + 1

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus