[FFmpeg-devel] saving file directly to webserver

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Wed Jun 11 09:09:32 CEST 2008

Thomas J?rg wrote:
> or in detail:
> 1. a user clicks on a movie download link on a website (mpeg4, php/
> mysql)
> 2. a script selects two preencoded files they are pretty large (ca. 1
> GB)
> 3. the two files are joined
> 4. the download of the new movie (the two files connected) begins
> for the user it has to be like just downloading one file. the movie
> should play in quicktime player.

beside quicktime, IFF the files have the same format, feng can do that
already.

> is there a possibility to do this directly?

Only if the files have the same format.

> i imagine something like modifying ffmpeg to accept two files as an
> input then ultimately generating the mpeg4 header and passing it on to
> the webserver to start with the download. can the movie information be
> pulled out of the two existing files? it's like an ordinary "join two
> files operation" but instead of a "save as" command there is a "pass
> to webserver" comand. or you can see it like this: the file is not
> saved locally but directly to the requesting user over the web.

Right now feng (a streaming server that uses ffmpeg) let you cut and
collate chunks of streams on fly.

> would be really cool to build an application that can do this. we are
> a small group of filmstudents from berlin but we have funding for this
> project. we are willing to offer a 500? reward for anybody who can
> build such a system.

A similar thing was done by politecnico di Torino an year ago  and this
feature got in feng because of that.

http://live.polito.it if you want to give a try.

lu

--