[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg.c refactoring

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Jun 11 12:10:39 CEST 2008

Ralf Terdic wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 11:39:37 Luca Abeni wrote:
>> This has nothing to do with the fork() overhead: this is just java
>> overhead...
>>
>> So, avoid using java: if you want to reduce the overhead, you are just
>> using the wrong tool
> Okay, Luca, so to summarize: Java is the wrong "tool", and you suggest that I
> go and rewrite my web app, e.g. using C invoking exec("ffmpeg"), rather than
> help improve ffmpeg and help those who use it programmatically. Thank you.

No; I simply suggest that you do not propagate false statements such as
"Invoking ffmpeg in a shell is no viable option in a server environment".

Then, maybe ffmpeg.c's code is in need for some refactoring, or maybe not
(but if Michael says "no", I tend to believe to him :). But please do not use
incorrect statements to support your point.

				Luca