[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg.c refactoring

Ralf Terdic contact
Wed Jun 11 18:57:27 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 18:30:27 Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > If Java is the problem, the solution is to eliminate Java.
>
> Well, a more diplomatic way to put it: If Java is the problem, fix Java.
> File a bug report or whatever they offer with Sun, I can seen no reason
> at all why executing a system binary should be significantly slower with
> Java than with C, so essentially this sounds to me like a case of "oh, we
> had an intern implement this and not looked at the code ever since, nobody
> cares anyway".
There's no alternative option to Java for me, as the rest of the app is in
Java, so let's stop this "Java or not" discussion. For this reason, I haven't
done any benchmarks which involve invoking ffmpeg from other languages than
Java.

As the maintainers don't see any benefit in an encoding API using the code in
ffmpeg.c, I'll do what others have done before me: see what other projects
have to offer.

Ralf