[FFmpeg-devel] Document AVOption struct

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Mon Jun 16 01:21:59 CEST 2008

Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> On date Saturday 2008-06-14 22:47:33 +0200, Michael Niedermayer
> encoded:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:34:04AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:

>>> I tried to improve it, I think now it's simpler and clearer:
>>>     /**
>>>      * Aggregates options into a single logical unit. Named constants
>>>      * belonging to the same option share the same unit, which
>>>      * corresponds to the name of that option.
>>>      */
>>
>> A function does something a variables is something.
>>
>> A description of a variable should not be about how it is used but
>> about what it is primarely. After one has defined what the variable
>> is/contains one can, if needed explain what that is used for if
>> thats is important.
>
> Got it, please check if it is better now.

For as much as my two cents are worth, looks good to me.

>>>      enum AVOptionType type;
>>>
>>> +    /**
>>> +     * The default value. It is settable only for non string
>>> +     * values. If the option is a constant (for example is a named
>>> +     * value) then it contains the value of the constant.
>>> +     */
>>
>> Default value for non constant and value for constant scalars. or
>> maybe its "of" instead of "for" iam no native :)
>
> Well, and I think "for" is more clear, I'm no native too so
> suggestions are welcome (The Wanderer?).

I would go with "for". (I would also write "The default" rather than
just "Default", but that's a separate issue.)

Also, "non-constant" should be hyphenated, for at bare minimum the
reason that "non" is not a standalone word.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.