[FFmpeg-devel] Broken configure causes ffmpeg failing on Solaris

Frank Liu gfrankliu
Sat Mar 1 00:11:26 CET 2008

Hi there,

I took the suggestions from this list:
"man standards" and set the PATH properly
ffmpeg seems to compile fine on my Solaris 10 SPARC box, but the
compiled binary doesn't work.

I did some more research and found out ./configure sets up the wrong
endian for the SPARC architecture.

Here is the line in "configure":

grep -q BIGE $TMPO && enable bigendian

With the PATH I have, it is equivalent to
/usr/xpg4/bin/grep -q BIGE $TMPO && enable bigendian

that grep never matches, so bigendian doesn't get enabled.
(my guess is only GNU grep can act on binary file?)

Even though the compilation went well, the resulting ffmpeg executable
doesn't really work.

Frank