[FFmpeg-devel] [flamefest-start] A little something on MMX/SSE intrinsics

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni
Sat Mar 1 13:54:32 CET 2008

Hi!

Saturday 01 March 2008 13:38-kor Luca Barbato ezt ?rta:
> Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> > How are PPCs so scheduling-sensitive?

[description of differences between ppc cores]

Probably it's just me, but I still don't really see what you can do
differently for these cores, that the compiler will do automatically when
using intrinsics. Using different instructions for different cores won't
happen automatically with intrinsics, as one intrinsic transalates to one
specific asm instruction (at least afaik). And then the scheduling is also
the same, as Ivan and I have been saying (puting as many independet
instructions after each other as the number of registers allow).

bye
Denes

p.s.: of course there can be some not so frequent situations where indeed a
radically different scheduling of the same instructions is much better in ine
core - but this is not so frequent imho, and I have serious doubts that GCC
will actually realise this.