[FFmpeg-devel] [flamefest-start] A little something on MMX/SSE intrinsics

Dave Dodge dododge
Mon Mar 3 02:21:47 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:21:48PM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> And IA-64 understands MMX and SSE intrinsics too

I think on IA-64 the MMX/SSE instructions are part of the x86
emulation, which could make them slow.  IA-64 has its own native
parallel instructions which are similar but can work with its
normal registers.

> Anybody ever checked how icc performed on intrinsics?

BTW last I checked, icc on IA-64 didn't support inline assembly at
all, so intrinsics (or a standalone assembler) were the only option.
This isn't that surprising if you know anything about the way assembly
works on that architecture.  One downside is that the intrinsics only
cover part of the instruction set, so you can run into situations
where you can't get it to generate the precise instruction and hint
combination you're after.

                                                  -Dave Dodge