[FFmpeg-devel] Mixed data type in SIMD code?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 3 17:14:01 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 05:25:52PM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've always been unsure about the performance penalty (if there's any)
> brought in by using SIMD instructions that mismatch with the actual
> data type. For example to use pxor to clear a register that is later
> used as packet single, or to use movlhps to move part of a register
> that is later used as packet integer or packet double.
>
> These instructions are bitwise equivalent, but instructions operating
> on packed integer and packed single are usually shorter than those on
> packed double, so Intel recommends only to differentiate integers and
> floatings, and to use *ps instructions even for packed doubles. Don't
> know what AMD suggests. So does that mean we should replace things
> like movapd, movlhpd, xorpd and andpd with their *ps equivalents?

benchmark ...
Also i doubt we use or ever will use packed double.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf