[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2008

Mike Melanson mike
Tue Mar 4 00:29:28 CET 2008

Marco Gerards wrote:
> Sorry, I am to blame for not finishing this yet.  Before Christmas I
> have updated the code to the spec of that date.  Unfortunately there
> were some regressions so the decoder output does not match that of the
> reference implementation.  It's not a hard, but a very frustrating job
> to fix this.
>
> Furthermore, Dirac should be updated to the current specification (the
> final version was recently released) and the low delay syntax should
> be added so the decoder is compatible with VC-2.  It is not that much
> work, it just has to be done.  At the moment I am working on my master
> thesis, so I won't have much time during the next two months.  At the
> moment it is hard to say something about the near future.
>
> Anyways, I do not want to let this code rot.  I put a lot of effort in
> this and I want to pick it up again, when time permits.  Feel free to
> contacting me when you have any questions about my code.  Don't worry
> about this being a wasted effort, I do not intend to let this happen
> :-)
>
> Sorry this semi off-topic post :-)

Not sure how this could possibly be considered off-topic for
ffmpeg-devel. :) I'm glad to see you're still around.

Can you briefly enumerate the discrete tasks that you think need to be
done before the decoder is complete? Also for the encoder?

>From a testing perspective, is Dirac designed to be bit exact? And I
suppose it's way too much to hope that the BBC actually has a reference
suite available. I mean, it's not like they have any library of visual
test material for which they own the copyright. :)

--
	-Mike Melanson