[FFmpeg-devel] Mixed data type in SIMD code?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 4 00:42:51 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 04:30:08PM -0700, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > Also i doubt we use or ever will use packed double.
>
> flac encoder does. Single isn't precise enough for a linear sum of up
> to 16k elements. Reordering the sum to a tree made it half-way
> decent decent precision, but also made it as slow as double.

What about something like:

for(i=0; i<16000;){
    float sum=0;
    do{
        sum+= whatever[i++];
    }while(i&127);
    double_sum += sum;
}

?

Or maybe even using int32_t ?

and no, ive not looked at the code ...

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato