[FFmpeg-devel] Fix mingw name of .lib files

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Mar 4 16:45:11 CET 2008

Gonzalo Garramu?o wrote:

> I believe I had already brought this up before, but I was not given any
> reason why it works like this.
>
> The attached proposed patch changes configure to actually install .lib
> files following the name of the corresponding .dll files (like every
> other library out there does), so that you get:
>
> /usr/local/bin/avutil-52.dll
> /usr/local/bin/avutil-52.lib
>
> instead of the, imo, broken:
>
> /usr/local/bin/avutil-52.dll
> /usr/local/bin/avutil.lib

This is intentional.  With your proposal, users of the libs will have to
know which version to link to, and change their makefiles whenever the
version number changes.

> This allows you to also have multiple versions of ffmpeg installed under
> mingw.  I'm finding I will need to support multiple ffmpeg versions for
> my software.

You can install them in different directories, or rename them manually.
Your needs are somewhat special, and it would be wrong to complicate the
more common use case for a slight simplification of one special case.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com