[FFmpeg-devel] out-of-source build issues.

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra
Wed Mar 5 18:44:50 CET 2008

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Gonzalo Garramu?o wrote:
>> Here's a simple example.  I've already built ffmpeg in the main dir (ie.
>> not out of source) for mingw.
>>
>> Now, I go to build out of source for x86_64 on linux....
>>
>> $ mkdir build-x86_x64
>> $ cd    build-x86_x64
>> $ ../configure --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-pthreads
> [...]
>
> Oh, you're building shared libs. So that's the difference. I wonder if I
> should configure FATE to build those too? Sounds like it won't work
> right now.

Doubt that's the issue.  To summarize, the issues I see are:

* I have an out-of-source build and in-source build.  The build system
makes them both conflict and does not do a correct out-of-source build
from then on.  I should probably try, let's say a 32-bits in-source
build and a 64-bits out-of-source build and see if conflicts also shows
there too or only when mingw is part of the build.

* mingw creates dependencies that then break the build on Unix (by not
allowing make clean anymore).  That Makefile (in or out of source)
cannot be cleaned under a different platform due to path issues.  mingw
cross-compiling afaik does not show the path issues.  Only a native
windows build does.

* Only real issue with shared libs under mingw is that it creates an
unversioned lib file, which I believe is a build issue (but Mans
disagrees and considers it a "feature" for something that I'm still not
sure what is).

Those three are at least some of the problems I've stumbled so far in
the build system.

--
Gonzalo Garramu?o
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar