[FFmpeg-devel] Fix mingw name of .lib files

Jonathan Wilson jfwfreo
Thu Mar 6 12:10:36 CET 2008

> Using mingw ffmpeg with msvc (say 7.1 or 8.0) forces to have two msvc
> runtimes and I have seen msvc conflicts due to that (not with ffmpeg or
> my current code but other projects).   I know that issue is still
> potentially lurking there (or perhaps ffmpeg does not get effected due
> to being only C code??).
I believe it is possible to make MingW link to msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll or
msvcr80.dll (from the newer Visual C++ compilers) and because ffmpeg is
LGPL, there are no copyright issues from doing so (other than those that
arise if you redistribute the microsoft dll files). How you do it I dont
know (check the MingW mailing list archive for it, its been asked there before)
> Finall the old msvc5 (?) runtime (ie. the one mingw uses) is old.  The c
> functions in that DLL are not threaded (or even thread safe, I believe),
> which is slowly going to become another issue in the coming years.
The Visual C++ runtime MingW uses by default is msvcrt.dll which dates to
Visual C++ 6.0. Per Microsoft documentation, it is supposed to be thread safe.