[FFmpeg-devel] Memory leak using bitstream filters with shared libs

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Sun Mar 9 20:59:04 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 15:37 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 08:52:37PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > That IS what happens in PIC code. The issue that started this thread
> > happened because there was non-PIC code using the address in the
> > process. I already explained in reply to your earlier mail that the code
> > generated for ffmpeg.c ("movq   $0x4038a0,0x48(%rsp)") writes a direct
> > value that is included in the assembler instruction itself. You need to
> > use -fPIC if you want the compiler to generate extra indirection through
> > the GOT.
>
> If the code is non-PIC then the 0x4038a0 in the library needs to be
> patched at runtime anyway to account for the library load address. No

Yes that happens if there is non-PIC code in a library. But that's not
the case we're talking about here. See above - this is ffmpeg.c code.
We're talking about code generated for the main program.