[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG video4linux2: is read() still supported?

Trent Piepho xyzzy
Tue Mar 11 05:46:38 CET 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 frank at frankvh.com wrote:
> I have seen with ffmpeg and a v4l (video4linux 1) driver, that even if I
> specify rgb24 on
> the ffmpeg command line, and even if the v4l driver only supports rgb24,
> ffmpeg actually uses
> bgr24. Looking in v4l.c I see this:

I think what's going on is that V4L1 is somewhat dumb in the way it names
formats.  Both typically use BGR24, as that's what video cards use in their
framebuffer layout, but V4L1 uses the wrong name.  V4L1 is somewhat
vague on the issue of color order and endianess, while the V4L2 spec
is explict on what is little-endian vs big-endian and BGR24 vs RGB24.